Sunday, February 28, 2010

Erté, Cactus Wren, and Kells

Erté, Kells, and Cactus Wren are the three little dolls that I've just finished. I've listed all three of them in my Etsy shop (and you can click on the photos to go to their listing). Each is about 7.5 inches tall, or 19 centimeters, if standing.
I called this one "Erté" because she was inspired by the great art deco artist and designer. I've painted an abstract design on her torso.
 
Her face is barely sculpted - definition and depth is achieved by the paint. 
 
As most of my dolls, she has wings painted on her back. 

Kells is a little doll inspired by the great masterpiece, the Book of Kells. She has an entwined dragon-type image painted on her torso, with a Celtic knot twisting around her shoulder.
I thought I'd do something Irish-inspired for the month of March. She's more sculpted than Erté - her nose and lips are fully defined, and her eyes are quite green.
Her wings are also inspired by images from the Book of Kells.

The cactus wren sings the most lovely song perched atop a cholla or prickly pear cactus. This doll has a little bird painted on her torso. 
 
She is also more sculpted than Erté, and her hair is made from strands of burlap. 
Wren-like wings are painted on her back. 

The small dolls were new for me - I  discovered it is rather difficult to sculpt such tiny parts with paperclay, and took much longer than I expected. But I love to constantly challenge myself through my art, always trying new things and experimenting with ideas and techniques. 

Next I plan to make more of the larger, more intricate dolls. I still have a bag full of watch parts with which to experiment, and lots of ideas.... Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think! Which is your favorite, and why? What would you like to see next? 

4 comments:

Regina said...

these are adorable!!

Hugs,
Regi

Healing Woman said...

I like the one with the dread lock hair the best. I guess that's because my hair sometimes does that. They are all spectacular though.

jenann said...

They are all beautiful, but my special favourite is Kells. She reminds me of someone - - - but I can't think who!
Your dolls are all so inspired.

Allegro Melody Art Dolls said...

Thank you!